Are you in the early stages of your career in Law? Are you studying Law at university?
Excellent legal English and business communication skills will make you more employable and give you the confidence to move up the career ladder.
Cambridge Academy of English has many years’ experience of teaching legal English. What’s more, we are the only British Council-recognised centre in Cambridge which offers scheduled courses in this specialised area.
Our Legal English course focuses on communication and language skills within a legal context. You will:
- study a comprehensive range of legal English;
- develop your meeting, negotiation and other communication skills;
- visit key legal locations in London;
- listen to interesting and relevant visiting speakers at Cambridge Academy of English.
This is the right time to boost your career in Law.
- is ideal for less-experienced working lawyers and law students;
- provides all the English you need to work on drafting contracts, setting up a company and corporate law;
- develops your speaking and listening skills: advising clients, holding meetings and conducting negotiations;
- develops your writing and reading skills: contracts, letters and emails;
- develops your legal vocabulary;
- takes you to the places and people who matter: there are visits to legal London and talks at CAE by members of the legal profession;
- is led by teachers experienced in both English Language teaching and legal English;
- includes a useful Legal English dictionary and all course materials;
- takes place at the only British Council-recognised school in Cambridge teaching legal English;
- includes the CAE social programme.
“All the materials were clear and simple to understand. It was really interesting to be able to apply methodology to cases.”
“The amount of vocabulary – just amazing!”
“I drafted my first contract in English!”
Are you a more experienced lawyer? Why not consider one of our Professional Centre English for Lawyers courses? Click for details.
- Three-week courses from early July to mid September (LAW 1, 2, and 3)
- One three-week or four-week course in January (LAW A)
- Maximum of 12 students per class
- 21 full hours in class each week
- A full-day trip to legal London and visiting speakers from the legal profession
To study on Legal English, you need to be intermediate to advanced level:
|Common European Framework|
|Intermediate (4)||Can hold a basic conversation without difficulty but can’t discuss more complex issues. Some basic grammar mistakes.||B1|
|Upper Intermediate (5)||Can discuss some complex subjects fluently. Has no problem with common grammatical constructions||B2|
|Lower Advanced (6)||Can discuss a wide range of subjects with occasional mistakes. Can write with few grammatical errors.||C1|
|Advanced (7)||Can discuss a wide range of complex subjects. Wide vocabulary. Can read newspapers and magazines without much difficulty. Mistakes are about style rather than structure.||C2|
- activate and improve the English you already have;
- develop communication skills, oral and written;
- expand your vocabulary, legal and general;
- learn how to keep up your English when you return home;
- …and above all, gain confidence in your use of English.
“Excellent speaking practice! I am so much more confident now!”
A typical week during the Legal English course:
|Principles of a contract
– key legal terms
|How to read and understand a Contract||Principles of a contract – offer,
|Principles of a
contract – waiver, transfer and termination
drafting – key legal terms
|Types of company – comparative law||Incorporating a company||Duties of directors||Company insolvency||Company meetings|
|12.30 – 13.45||LUNCH|
|13.45 – 15.15
|Meetings – talking to a client||Meetings – formal language||Meetings and negotiations – developing an
|Negotiation – roleplay and detailed
|15.30 – 17.30
|Teacher-assisted study in CAE self-access Study Centre.|
|EVENING||Social programme including visiting speaker one evening.|
|SATURDAY||Optional trip to London or Oxford.|
|SUNDAY||CAE open in afternoon for study.|