CAE Girton, Cambridge
Cambridge, home comforts and a full programme of lessons and fun. We have been running summer teenage homestay (14-16) courses for 30 years in Girton, a safe and attractive area just outside Cambridge.
After breakfast with your homestay, you will join your friends on the short journey to Cambridge Academy of English (CAE). You’ll have 20 full hours of fun English language learning each week. Every morning you’ll focus mainly on speaking and listening. In the afternoon there’s an exciting choice of special classes, for example Music, Film & Animation, Course Magazine, Games in English and the Exam Skills Workshop. Plus there’s so much else to do at the school and lots of supervised local trips as well. What’s more, there’s an evening social programme. You’ll then return home to dream (maybe even in English!) in the evening. Finally, there are great weekend excursions!
- take a 2, 4 or 6-week course – perfect for independent teenagers aged 14-16*
- live in a local homestay close to school and normally within walking distance
- usually walk to school for class and for evening activities. You’ll usually walk home in the evening with friends
- practise your English in your homestay with your hosts and with students from other countries
- be supervised by CAE and your homestay
- be Elementary to Advanced level (not a Beginner)
- enjoy 20 full hours of lessons per week
- be in a class with a maximum of 12 students
- be with an excellent mix of nationalities
- enjoy a full Afternoon and Evening programme
- go on regular excursions
- be happy to hear that all costs are included in the course price!
* In special circumstances, CAE reserves the right to accept students of minimum age 13.
For information about Teenage Homestay (14-16) Courses outside of the summer season, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enrol for 2 weeks (or 4 or 6 weeks) from June to August
- 20 full hours of lessons per week
- A full programme of language lessons, afternoon activities, evening entertainment and visits
- Serious but lively language learning
- Learn the English you need by doing the things you like to do
- Enjoy social activities in the afternoon and evening
- Meals provided at homestay and at the school
- Regular excursions. All students normally visit London and Cambridge as well as other local destinations.
- Maximum class size is 12 students
- All students are interviewed and tested on arrival
- Classes are allocated by language level, nationality mix, age and gender
- Good mix of nationalities in each class
- 20 full hours of lessons per week
- Level-based Morning classes give teenagers a chance to practise all four skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Excursion preparation and follow-up work links the classroom language to the English speaking environment
- Afternoon Electives give you time to learn English by doing things you like – Popular Electives are: Music, Film & Animation, Course Magazine, Games in English and the Exam Skills Workshop
- Free learning materials
- Students prepare a special CAE Portfolio to take home as a record of their achievements on the course
- All students receive an end of course report and CAE Course Certificate
The Afternoon and Evening Programme is an essential part of your course. It is here that you can really put your English into practice. CAE offers you a choice of some great activities and sport every afternoon and evening. We all have our favourites, but we also encourage you to try something completely new!
In the Afternoons, join in the fun
(Basketball, Tennis, Badminton, Football, Volleyball, Cricket, Netball…)
- Art and Crafts
(Drawing, Painting, Mask making, Jewellery design, T-shirt painting…)
(Team Building Games, Drama, Music, Singing, Reading club, Cookery, Dance…)
- Local visits
(Town trails, Raft building, Swimming…)
In the Evenings, take part in
- Cinema visits
- Discos and Karaoke
- Homestay evenings
- Theme parties and an International Evening
- Team challenges
- Quizzes and School DVD Nights
- Talent competitions
- England is our classroom
- Students get the chance to use their English in real situations
- Regular excursions
- All teenagers usually visit London and Cambridge. Interesting trips to other local destinations too.
- Learn about the places you are visiting before the trip and talk or write about them when you get back to class.
- Teenage students are issued with a CAE Identity Card. You must carry this card at all times.
- Teenage students are only allowed to go into Cambridge at night as part of a supervised school evening activity. Students may not travel to London unaccompanied.
- CAE is located in Girton, a safe residential area on the outskirts of Cambridge, the famous university city.
- 15 minutes by bus from the centre of Cambridge
- All homestays within walking distance of CAE
- Homestays specially chosen for teenage students
- Teenage students walk to school for class and for evening activities. They usually walk home in the evening with friends
- Usually share a room with someone who speaks a different language
- Bath or shower once a day
- Clothes washed once a week
- Homestays provide breakfast and dinner everyday and lunch at weekends (packed lunch for excursion days),
- Have lunch in the CAE canteen during the week.
- Students are escorted to and from their homestay for all airport transfers
- On the Sunday before the course begins, all students are met at the airport by a CAE representative
- On the Saturday at the end of the course, students are taken back to the airport, and helped with their check-in. CAE representatives will remain in the airport until the plane has departed.
- There will be an additional charge for any arrivals, departures or extra nights outside our set days and times
- Teenage students who are flying alone are encouraged to register with the airline’s Unaccompanied Minor Service when booking their flight.
A Typical Day on Teenage Homestay Course
|7.30||Get up “Good Morning”|
|9.15||Lessons: Vocabulary extension: ‘Food’|
|10.40||Lessons: Magazine article|
|11.40||Lessons: Comparing cultures|
|13.30||Afternoon Electives: English through… Music, Games or Exam workshop|
|15.45||Afternoon Activities: Football, Team Building, Bracelet making|
|19.30||Karaoke Night at CAE|
|22.00||Return to Homestay|
Please note this is a sample timetable only and exact timings are subject to change.
A typical timetable on Teenage Homestay Courses:
CAE Portfolios & Grammar auction
|10.40-11.30||Academic skills: Learning
& Listening Activities
In The News this week?
|11.40-12.30||English in Action:
British Culture discussion
|Excursion preparation: Research London & Cambridge||English in Action:
And role play
|Prepare for – your weekend visits|
Music, Film, Games or Exam Skills
Arts and Crafts
|SATURDAY||Full-day excursion to LONDON, CAMBRIDGE or other destinations , evening with homestay|
|SUNDAY||CAE Open in the Afternoon and Evenings: Internet Access Table tennis Pool DVDs Board games Outdoor games, evening with homestay|