CAE MH @ Bedford School
First summer away from home? Our Children’s Residential Course ( 8-12 ) will take good care of you! It’s a big step for children and parents to be away from home for the first time, and to be using English during the day. MH @ Bedford School combines 24-hour supervision, interesting lessons and fun activities to show each child that English is so much more than books and tests. Returning home and telling your parents what you did in England is amazing.
- Our CAE MH course has now moved to our Bedford School site. Bedford School is a private boarding school. In summer 2023, it becomes the new home to the CAE MH children’s residential course joining the CAE OBH @ Bedford School Teenage Residential ( 12-15 ) and CAE Bedford School Older Teenage Residential ( 14 – 17 ) .
- Bedford School is located in the small, friendly market town of Bedford. It is a peaceful site with large grounds and excellent sporting facilities, close to the town centre but in a leafy residential area.
- The school is less than 60 minutes from Cambridge and conveniently located for Luton and Stansted Airport.
- 2 or 4 week courses recommended for children aged 8 – 12
- Residential accommodation
- Secure environment with 24 hour supervision
- Elementary level and above (no beginners)
- 15 hours of lessons per week
- Maximum of 36 children, in small classes of 8 to 12 students
- Staff: student ratio of 1:6
- No large groups from one country
- Wide choice of afternoon sports and activities
- Full programme of evening events and entertainment
- Tennis courts, sports hall, football pitches and indoor swimming pool
- Regular excursions
- All costs included in course price
- Students can enrol for 2 or 4 weeks
- 15 full hours of lessons per week
- An integrated programme of language lessons, afternoon activities, evening entertainment and visits
- Learn the English you need by doing the things you like to do
- Enjoy a full social programme in the afternoon and evening
- Daily CAE Portfolio and Homework session
- Regular weekly excursions. Children usually visit London and Cambridge as well as other local destinations
- Maximum class size of 12 students
- All students are interviewed and tested on arrival
- Classes are allocated by language level, nationality mix, age and gender
- 15 full hours of lessons per week
- Level based Project work classes give children a chance to practice all four skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Excursion Classes (preparation and follow up) link up the classroom language to the English speaking environment
- Daily Portfolio and Homework sessions give you time to review your progress, complete homework tasks and take part in Student Committee meetings
- Free learning materials
- Children prepare a special CAE Portfolio to take home as a record of their achievements on the course
- Children receive an end of course report and CAE Course Certificate.
In the Afternoons
- Choose a Daily Sign up Activity and do something different every day
- and Sign up for a Weekly Activity – watch your progress and develop your skills
MH @ Bedford School has fantastic playing fields, an indoor sports hall and swimming pool. There is lots of space and there are so many things to do that you’ll never be bored. Everyone will have favourites but we also encourage you to try something completely new!
(Basketball, Tennis, Badminton, Rugby, Football, Cricket, Netball…)
- Art and Crafts
(Drawing, Face Painting, Card making, Jewellery design, T-shirt painting…)
(Drama, Juggling, Music, Reading club, Cookery, Dance, Chess…)
- Local visits
(Bowling, Museum visits, Market surveys, Town trails…)
In the Evenings, join in the fun
- Cinema visits
- Discos and Karaoke
- Theme parties
- Team competitions
- England is our classroom
- Children get the chance to use their English in real situations
- Children usually visit London and Cambridge as well as other local destinations
- Learn about the places you are visiting before the trip. Talk or write about them when you get back to class
- Children are issued with a CAE Identity Card and must carry this card at all times
- Children are supervised at all times
- Bedford School is a private boarding school. In summer it becomes the centre for our CAE Children’s residential course.
- Bedford School is located in the small friendly market towns of Bedford. It is to the north of the town centre in a leafy residential area.
- The school is less than 60 minutes from Cambridge and conveniently located for Stansted and Luton Airport.
- Students sleep in shared dormitories (with 1 to 4 other children).
- A broad mix of nationalities in each dormitory.
- Sleeping arrangements are made in advance. We encourage students to make new friends and speak English in the boarding houses.
- We do not allow siblings or friends travelling together to share rooms. They may be in rooms close by but will not be able to share.
- Teachers sleep in staff bedrooms next to the student dormitories and members of staff are on duty throughout the night.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided in the school dining room. On excursion days students receive a packed lunch.
- Students are escorted to and from Bedford School for all airport transfers
- On the Sunday before the course starts, all students are met at the airport by a CAE representative
- On the Saturday at the end of the course, students are taken back to the airport, and helped with their check-in. CAE staff will remain in the airport until the plane has departed.
- There will be an additional charge for any scheduled arrivals, departures or extra nights outside our set days and times.
- Children who are flying alone are advised to register with the airline’s Unaccompanied Minor Service when booking flights.
A Typical CAE Summer Course Day at MH @ Bedford School
|7.30||“Good morning! Time to wake up.”|
|9.00||English lessons: new language and a grammar game|
|10.00||BREAK “Time for a snack.”|
|10.15||English lessons: listening and speaking activities|
|11.30||English lessons: learn about London – reading and writing|
|12.30||LUNCH “Yum… that looks delicious.”|
|13.45||Afternoon Activities: sign up daily for – Swimming, tennis, juggling, singing…|
|15.15||BREAK “Tea and Cakes”|
|15.45||Activity classes: your weekly choice – Magazine, arts and crafts, British sports, photography…|
|18.00||CAE Portfolios/ Computer time/ Student committee|
|18.30||DINNER “What’s for dinner?”|
|19.30||Pirate Party – with Treasure Hunt|
|21.00||Boys’ and Girls’ House meetings: and time to relax, read, write|
|21.30||Bedtime “Goodnight. Sleep tight.”|
Please note this is a sample timetable. Exact timings and activities are subject to change.
A typical weeks study during the Summer term:
|09.00||CAE Welcome and Introductions||Introducing: Teachers and Classmates||Language focus:
New grammar, vocabulary and more…
|LATE BREAKFAST||Project work|
|10.15||Placement testing||Your CAE Portfolio
Language, skills and
lots of practice!
Speaking, listening, reading and writing
St Mary’s Church climb
|11.30||MH @ Bedford: Getting to know the school||Excursion work:
Out & About in English
|Out & About||Prepare to – VISIT Bedford||Prepare to – VISIT Cambridge||Excursion follow up|
|12.30||LUNCH AND FREE TIME||‘All day breakfast’ lunch|
|13.45||Introduction to: Afternoon Activities||Afternoon activities: Sign up daily…||Art, dance, football, netball||Local visit:
And “Charity Shop challenge”
|Volleyball, ping pong, gymnastics, NetQuest||Swim, tennis, jewellery, circus skills|
|15.15||Afternoon tea and cakes||Tea||Tea|
|15.45||Weekly Activity Class||Magazine, art, British sports, Photography||Photography, Art, Magazine, British Sports||Magazine, art, British Sports, Photography||Weekly Activity class|
|18.00||Portfolio work/Homework/Singing/Story time
Student Committee meetings
|Portfolios/ Computers/ Meetings||Portfolios/ Storytime…|
|19.30||Welcome Party||The MH @ Bedford Challenge||Quiz Night||Sports Evening||Film Night||Themed Disco||Talent Show Preparation|
|21.00||GIRLS’ and BOYS’ HOUSE MEETINGS|
|22.00||Bed time. Lights out. Goodnight!|